It’s a new year, a new you- right? We’ve all said it. Now it’s time to act! Some may have made a resolution to eat healthier, or go to the gym, or a fitness class – well, in my opinion, the easiest fitness resolution is to lace up your shoes, put one foot in front of the other, and head out your front door.It’s hard to start from the beginning- I know. I did it once in the beginning and then after each of my babies (where I had c-sections), so, I know what it is like to start from scratch. It’s hard. You find no joy in those first few runs where you are huffing and puffing and can’t imagine ever liking that feeling. Stick with it, and I promise you will. Here are some of my tips and thoughts to get started:
- Start with a time goal. Say I am going to step out my front door and jog when I can and walk when I must for 30 minutes. This is easier and more rewarding than a distance goal.
- Get outside! Distract yourself with the beauty of nature. Of the air. Of the birds. Get some Vitamin D! Plus, there’s no excuse of, “I couldn’t get to the gym today to use the treadmill.”
- Sign up for a fun-run/race. Don’t let this intimidate you! Sign up for a local 5 or 10k with a friend and set it as your goal. You don’t need to shoot for a time, just to have fun and finish. This is one of the greatest motivators for me- something to work towards. My husband is one who can not keep motivated on working out without a race in his future.
- Don’t quit. Be consistent. Tell yourself that every M/W/F/S you are going for a run or walk- and don’t come up with an excuse. Any run is better than no run at all. Make it a routine that you will be upset about missing.
- No comparing! The only person you should compare yourself to was the person you were yesterday.
It will be hard at first- I won’t sugar coat it; but, it is rewarding to see yourself transform physically, emotionally, and spiritually! So, lace up those shoes, put one foot in front of the other- and get running!